Thursday 20th February 2020
Newly launched, and unique to Croydon. Bringing a friendly, safe, and comfortable space to access free wellness activities and information. The Wellness Centre is founded and run by Croydon BME Forum the umbrella organisation for Croydon’s Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) voluntary and community sector and a leading BME Forum in the country.
We know that everyone wants to look after their health and wellbeing but sometimes don’t know what the best things are to do or how to access the best advice and support. So – we plan to plug that gap! We will provide the opportunity to experience a range of activities and events that will help you look after your own wellness and gain information about services within Croydon which support your health and wellbeing. By being based in the Whitgift Centre we aim to be as accessible as possible – we encourage anyone to drop in and see what we have on offer! Our opening hours are Monday – Friday 10am – 5pm and Saturday 10am – 4pm or you can check out our programme on our website www.cbmeforum.org.
Andrew Brown, CEO from the BME Forum, said The Wellness Centre will have a great range of creative, fun and enjoyable activities which all contribute to us keeping ourselves well and it will also be an important place to obtain information on a range of health and well-being resources and services provided by key partners. These include Croydon Health Services NHS Trust, Croydon Council, South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, Off the Record, South East Cancer Help Centre and other friends of the BME Forum.
We will be offering holistic and complementary services such as seminars, workshops, health checks, fitness, creative activities, first aid training and much, much more – all in the name of Health and wellbeing for ALL!
We are still developing our full programme of activities and information sessions, and they are falling into the following categories
• Activities that make physical activity fun! For example, Fit Club
• Activities that help you relax and feel calm – like Tai Chi
• Activities that enable you to get into your flow of creativity – like drumming!
• Looking after new babies can be very stressful – so Mother and Baby Disco will help you relax and make friends and baby will enjoy it too!
• How to access health screening and support for a range of conditions, like diabetes checks, high blood pressure checks, alcohol and drug awareness
• Confidential help and support with FGM
• Support for you to make the most of life’s opportunities like counselling and mentoring
• A range of workshops include those to deal with Sleep deprivation, Lifestyle, Nutrition, Men’s Wellbeing Session, Mental
Wellbeing, Stress Management.
• Opportunities for volunteering
• Young Peoples Mental Health Session
• Advice for support when living with long term conditions
• How to access support when living with Domestic abuse
• Activities for the over 55s